Pages

Monday, February 8, 2016

The Truth Of Thirst

We've all had those moments.

These moments,

Those days,

When you look around and think,

"I've got nothing left to give.

I've got nothing left to give,

And I'm not even sure what I am giving even means anything."

You're not sure you have anything left to give,

But still,

You get up,

Drag your feet out of bed,

And think,

Even if you never say it out loud,

" I hope no one sees how empty I feel today.

I hope no one can tell,

Because then, what will they think?

And if I do say those words,

I'm empty,

Who will listen,

And not judge?"

There was a women in the Bible that felt this same way,

The Samaritan woman,

A woman who in the eyes of her city was an embarrassment,

The topic of town gossip,

The woman that no one wants their daughter to grow up and be like.

Jesus made a pit stop in this woman's town.

Sat down at the well,

The center of Samaria,

The place where people gathered,

And sat,

And I believe,

Waited for this woman.

This woman that showed up at the hottest time of day to avoid the stares,

And the whispers.

This woman,

Who showed up to fill her water bucket,

But whose soul probably felt dry too.

Emptied by the years of giving away the best part of herself to men,

Emptied by shame,

And embarrassment,

And pure desperation.

And Jesus,

Instead of seeing what she did,

Or who people said she was,

Saw who she really was,

A woman who needed love,

And affirmation,

But believed the lies that whispered softly in her ear,

"You are what you've done.

You'll never be any different.

This is the best you've got.

You are not loved

You are not seen

You can never be filled."

Jesus saw this woman,

He offered up the only answer to her deep thirst.

Deep and filling love.

But first,

She had to ask.

She had to look past the shame,

And embarrassment,

And bravely ask,

To be filled,

To fill her emptiness,

And through that filling see,

That Jesus,

Saw her exactly as she was,

Saw her better then she was,

Not broken and ignored

But as beautiful and seen.

And He wanted to fill that deepest part of her,

The part that was empty,

The part that believed that she had nothing left to give.

The part that believed the lies.

But, she first had to ask.

To muster up the bravery,

Push past the fear of being judged,

And ask to be seen,

To be known,

To be filled.

Jesus see me.

Jesus know me,

Jesus fill me.

I ask those same prayers.

I invite you to ask those same prayers as well.

And hear those same truths,

That were true for that Samaritan woman,

And true for you today.

No matter your season,

You are seen.

No matter what you try to hide behind,

You are known,

And no matter how empty you feel,

You have the ability to be filled.

Jesus see me.

Jesus know me,

Jesus fill me.





No comments:

Post a Comment