Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Back Off Jeff Foxworthy

I've been thinking a lot about God's plan for my life lately. What am I supposed to do? Where am I supposed to go? Can one just be a perpetual student and serve the Lord that way? Do they need a ministry for rehabilitating Toddlers and Tiaras children?

And in between all these wonderings, a little, annoying, tidbit of a thought comes creeping up in my brain-

What if, I'm just not good enough for all of these awesome plans that I think God's got for me? What if I don't measure up? What can God possibly have for me?

I mean really- I haven't opened up any orphanages in Uganda. I'm not a particularly gifted public speaker, and on a good day, I still can't name all of the books in the bible. I can't even beat the American Bible Challenge, and that show is hosted by Jeff Foxworthy. I should be able to beat a show that is hosted by a member of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. And in creep those thoughts again...

I'm not smart enough.

I'm not talented enough.

God can't possibly use a loser at American Bible Challenge.

But tonight, when I was reading Isaiah 56:

"Let no eunuch complain "I am only a dry tree".
Here is what the Lord says:
To the eunuch who keep my Sabbaths,
who choose what pleases me
and holds fast to my covenant
to them I will give within my temple and its walls
a memorial and a name
better than sons and daughters
I will give them an everlasting name
that will endure forever"

I was assured of what I really have going for me.

Now, for those of who who don't know eunuch is, and don't want to read the wiki link that was just posted, let me put it this way. They were the bottom of the Bible social totem pole. They were of little to no importance in social standings. They would have been featured on "Dirty Jobs"- Old Testament Edition.

If we're talking in Harry Potter terms, eunuch = squib. Bottom line- you didn't want to be a eunuch.

But here in Isaiah, when the Lord was confirming his promises, the first group of people, not the last group of people, or the people who he invited to the party fifteen minutes before the party started, but the first people he chooses to reference were the social outcasts of society. The people that no one wanted to be. The group who probably had people telling them-

You're not smart enough.

You're talented enough.

You are a loser.

And the Lord, in His wisdom and glory replies, speaking over all those outside voices and says- "Follow me, keep my commands and I'll show you-

How I can use the wisdom I gave you,

And how I can use the talent I gave you.

And I don't care how many rounds you can outsmart Jeff Foxworthy- I am calling you mine. I am giving you a far greater gift then any grand prize on a game show could give you. You get to be my child. A promise that never changes and goes on forever."

And for me, tonight, that is enough. It's more then enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment